A position paper presents an arguable opinion about an important issue. The goal of a position paper is to convince the audience that your opinion is valid and worth listening to. This is especially important for the sports chiropractic profession because so few people really know what sports chiropractors do and what they can do. This is why sports chiropractors need to steadily build a base of information about different topics - to demonstrate their scope of interest and knowledge. The following are links to ACBSP™ and other organization's position papers:
Physical and Sporting Activity for those with Scoliosis
Guideline Title: Appropriateness of Physical and Sporting Activity for those with Scoliosis
Guideline Date: 5 June 2009
Developer organization name: American Chiropractic Board of Sports Physicians™ (ACBSP™)
Article published in the Journal of Chiropractic Medicine: Is physical activity contraindicated for individuals with scoliosis? A systematic literature review. Authored by Bart N. Green, Claire Johnson, William Moreau
ACBSP™ POSITION STATEMENTS
- ACBSP™ Bloodborne Pathogen Position Statement (1999)
- ACBSP™ Position Stand on Pre-participation Examinations (2015)
- (C) McCrory Paul, Meeuwisse Willem, Dvorak Jiri, et al. Consensus statement on concussion in sport—the 5th international conference on concussion in sport held in Berlin, October 2016. British Journal of Sports Medicine 2017:1–10. American College of Sports Medicine Position Statements and Team Physician Consensus Statements
- (C) INTER-ASSOCIATION TASK FORCE FOR APPROPRIATE CARE OF THE SPINE CONSENSUS STATEMENT 1998
- (C) American Academy of Family Physicians, American Academy of Pediatrics, American College of Sports Medicine, American Medical Society for Sports Medicine, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, American Osteopathic Academy of Sports Medicine. PPE - preparticipation physical evaluation. 4th ed. American Academy of Pediatrics; 2010. ISBN-10: 158110376X; ISBN-13: 9781581103762
- (C) Baechle Thomas R., Earle Roger W. Essentials of strength training and conditioning. 3rd ed. Human Kinetics; 2008. ISBN-10: 0736058036; ISBN-13: 9780736058032
- (C) Brukner Peter, Khan Karim. Brukner & Khans clinical sports medicine. 5th ed. McGraw-Hill Education (Australia); 2016. ISBN-10: 1743761384; ISBN-13: 9781743761380
- (C) Cook Chad E., Hegedus Eric J. Orthopedic physical examination tests: an evidence-based approach. 2nd ed. Pearson; 2012. ISBN-10: 0132544784; ISBN-13: 9780132544788
- (C) Hammer Warren. Functional Soft Tissue Examination and Treatment by Manual Methods. 3rd ed. Jones & Bartlett Pub; 2007. ISBN-10: 0763752878; ISBN-13: 9780763752873
- (C) Hazinski Mary Fran. BLS for healthcare providers student manual. American Heart Association; 2011. ISBN – 13:9781584804949
OR American Red Cross CPR/AED for professional rescuers and health care providers handbook. 4th Yardley, PA: StayWell; 2011. ISBN - 9781584804949
- (C) Hyde Thomas E., Gengenbach Marianne S. Conservative management of sports injuries. 2nd ed. Jones and Bartlett; 2007. ISBN-10:0763732524; ISBN-13: 9780763732523
- (C) Marchiori Dennis M. Clinical imaging: with skeletal, chest, and abdomen pattern differentials. 3rd ed. Elsevier/Mosby; 2013. ISBN-10: 0323084958; ISBN-13: 9780323084956
- (C) Mistovich Joseph J., Karren Keith J., Hafen Brent. Prehospital emergency care. 11th ed. Pearson; 2013. ISBN-10: 0134704452; ISBN-13: 9780134704456
- (C) Perrin David H. Athletic taping and bracing. 2nd ed. Human Kinetics; 2005. ISBN-10: 0736048111; ISBN-13: 9780736048118
- (C) Yochum Terry R., Rowe Lindsay J. Yochum and Rowe's essentials of skeletal radiology. vol. 1 & 2. 3rd ed. Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2005. ISBN-10: 0781739462; ISBN-13: 9780781739467
AMERICAN COLLEGE OF SPORTS MEDICINE POSITION STATEMENTS AND TEAM PHYSICIAN CONSENSUS STATEMENTS
ACBSP™ recognizes the Position Statements and Team Physician Statements of the American College of Sports Medicine that are listed below. They can be found by clicking here.
- American Academy of Family Physicians, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, American College of Sports Medicine, American Medical Society for Sports Medicine, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, American Osteopathic Academy of Sports Medicine. Selected Issues for Nutrition and the Athlete: A Team Physician Consensus Statement. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 2013;45(12):2378–2386.
- American Academy of Family Physicians, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, American College of Sports Medicine, American Medical Society for Sports Medicine, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, The American Osteopathic Academy of Sports Medicine. Selected Issues in Injury and Illness Prevention and the Team Physician: A Consensus Statement. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 2007;39(11):2058–2068.
- American Academy of Family Physicians, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, American College of Sports Medicine, American Medical Society for Sports Medicine, American Orthopaedic Societyfor Sports Medicine, American Osteopathic Academy of Sports Medicine. The team physician and conditioning of athletes for sports: A consensus statement. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 2001;33(10):1789–1793.
- American College of Sports Medicine. Exercise and fluid replacement. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 2007;39(2):377–90.
- American College of Sports Medicine, American Academy of a Family Physicians, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, American Medical Society for Sports Medicine, American Orthopaedic Society for Sports Medicine, American Osteopathic Academy of Sports Medicine. Female athlete issues for the team physician: A consensus statement. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 2003;35(10):1785–93
- American College of Sports Medicine, American Heart Association. Joint position statement: Automated external defibrillators in health/fitness facilities. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 2002;34(3):561–564.
- American Dietetic Association, Dietitians of Canada, American College of Sports Medicine. Nutrition and athletic performance. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 2009;41(3):709–731.
- Armstrong Lawrence E, Casa Douglas J, Millard-Stafford Mindy, Moran Daniel S, Pyne Scott W, Roberts William O. Exertional Heat Illness during Training and Competition. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 2007;39(3):556–572.
- Castellani John W, Young Andrew J, Ducharme Michel B, Giesbrecht Gordon G, Glickman Ellen, Sallis Robert E. Prevention of Cold Injuries during Exercise. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 2006;38(11):2012–2029.
- Herring Stanley A, Kibler W. Ben, Putukian Margot. Team Physician Consensus Statement: 2013 Update. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 2013;45(8):1618–1622.
- Herring Stanley A, Kibler W. Ben, Putukian Margot. The Team Physician and the Return-to-Play Decision: A Consensus Statement—2012 Update. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 2012;44(12):2446–2448.
- Johnson Claire. Evidence-Based Practice in 5 Simple Steps. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics 2008;31(3):169–70.
- Mountjoy Margo, Sundgot-Borgen Jorunn Kaiander, Burke Louise M, et al. IOC consensus statement on relative energy deficiency in sport (RED-S): 2018 update 2018.
- Oppliger Robert A, Case Samuel H, Horswill Craig A, Landry Gregory L, Shelter Ann C. ACSM Position Stand: Weight Loss in Wrestlers. Medicine & Science in Sports & Exercise 1996;28(10):135–138.
DACBSP® (responsible for ALL in CCSP® reading list)
- (D) Exercise and Acute Cardiovascular Events: Placing the Risks into Perspective
- (D) Exercise and Hypertension
- (D) Exercise and Physical Activity for Older Adults
- (D) Exercise and Type 2 Diabetes: American College of Sports Medicine and the American Diabetes
- (D) Mass Participation Event Management for the Team Physician: A Consensus Statement
- (D) Psychological Issues Related to Injury in Athletes and the Team Physician: A Consensus Statement
- (D) Quantity and Quality of Exercise for Developing and Maintaining Cardiorespiratory, Musculoskeletal, and Neuromotor Fitness in Apparently Healthy Adults: Guidance for Prescribing
- (D) Selected Issues for the Adolescent Athlete and the Team Physician: A Consensus Statement
- (D) Selected Issues for the Master Athlete and the Team Physician: A Consensus Statement
DACBSP® TEXT BOOKS
- Bergmann Thomas F., Peterson David H. Chiropractic technique: principles and procedures. Elsevier/Mosby; 2011.
ISBN-10: 0323049699; ISBN-13: 9780323049696
- Cameron Michelle H. Physical agents in rehabilitation: from research to practice. 3rd ed. Saunders/Elsevier; 2008.
ISBN-10: 1416032576; ISBN-13: 9781416032571
- Cook Chad. Orthopedic manual therapy. 2nd ed. Prentice Hall; 2011.
ISBN-10: 0138021732; ISBN-13: 9780138021733
- Gulick Dawn. Sport notes: field & clinical examination guide. F.A. Davis Co.; 2008.
ISBN-10: 0803618751; ISBN-13: 9780803618756
- Haldeman Scott. Principles and practice of chiropractic. McGraw-Hill, Medical Pub. Division; 2005.
ISBN-10: 0071375341; ISBN-13: 9780071375344
- MacAuley Domhnall, Best Thomas M. Evidence-based sports medicine. 2nd ed. BMJ Books; 2007.
ISBN-10: 1405132981; ISBN-13: 9781405132985
- O’Connor Francis G., Casa Douglas J. ACSMs sports medicine: a comprehensive review. Wolters Kluwer Health/Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 2013.
ISBN-10: 1451104251; ISBN-13: 9781451104257
- Shamus Eric, Shamus Jennifer. Sports injury: prevention & rehabilitation. Mc Graw-Hill Medical Pub. Div.; 2001.
IBSN-10: 0071354751; IBSN-13: 9780071354752
ADDITIONAL DACBSP® JOURNAL ARTICLES
- Appropriate Prehospital Care of the Spine Injured Athlete.
- Bialosky Joel E, Bishop Mark D, Price Don D, Robinson Michael E, George Steven Z. The mechanisms of manual therapy in the treatment of musculoskeletal pain: A comprehensive model 2008.
- Byrd J.W. Thomas. Femoroacetabular Impingement in Athletes: Current Concepts. The American Journal of Sports Medicine 2014;42(3):737-751.
- Cantu Robert C., Li Yan Michael, Abdulhamid Mohamed, Chin Lawrence S. Return to Play After Cervical Spine Injury in Sports. Current Sports Medicine Reports 2013;12(1):14–17.
- Green Bart N, Johnson Claire, Moreau William. Is physical activity contraindicated for individuals with scoliosis? A systematic literature review. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine 2009:25–37.
- Green Bart N, Johnson Claire D. How to write a case report for publication. Journal of Chiropractic Medicine 2006:72–82.
- Harmon Kimberly G, Drezner Jonathan A, Gammons Matthew, et al. American Medical Society for Sports Medicine position statement: concussion in sport. British Journal of Sports Medicine 2013.
- Johnson Claire. Questioning the Importance of Authorship. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics 2005;28(3):149–50.
- Johnson Claire. Transparency of Research Methods: Proud to be a Naked Emperor. Journal of Manipulative and Physiological Therapeutics 2005;28(6):377–378.
- Keogh MJ, Batt ME. A review of femoroacetabular impingement in athletes. Sports Med 2008.
- Mcleod Tamara C. Valovich, Decoster Laura C., Loud Keith J., et al. National Athletic Trainers Association Position Statement: Prevention of Pediatric Overuse Injuries. Journal of Athletic Training 2011;46(2):206–220.